STATE OF IOWA
PUBLIC EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS BOARD (PERB)
Wednesday, April 25, 2018 10:06 a.m.
Jessie Parker Building
PERB Law Library
Present at meeting: Cormack, Van Fossen, Gannon, Machir, Bolte, DeSmet, Sarajlija
I. Gannon moved to approve the agenda, Van Fossen seconded; unanimously approved.
II. Van Fossen moved to approve the April 18, 2018 minutes, Gannon seconded; unanimously approved.
III. Public Comment: None
IV. Office status
* Machir and DeSmet presented a suggested rule change from Nate Willems to clarify that elections only take place when there is a CBA in place. General discussion was held by Board and staff. Machir and DeSmet will bring a final version of this to the Board at a future meeting.
* Sarajlija presented the cost of both laptops and desktops for potential purchase. After discussion, Van Fossen moved to table this item.
* Cormack presented a proposal from Triplett for the cost of 500 ink pens for PERB to distribute at outreach meetings and other public contact. The cost for this order will be 500 pens at a cost of .61 per pen. Cormack moved to order the 500 pens at a cost of no more than $350.00, Gannon seconded, unanimously approved.
* Cormack shared that DAS came out to examine PERB offices to help discuss options on how to create an additional office space. DAS will present a design and cost for the Board to consider in the near future.
* Discussed the status of securing the door to the PERB office. It was determined after discussion to put this item on hold. Luttrell will check with DAS about a potential buzzer system to allow access to PERB and report back to the Board with those costs. The Board discussed reaching out to Post 16 for any potential ideas they may have about balancing public access and the safety of the office.
V. Consider new and pending Cases (Board may go into closed session pursuant to Iowa Code Sec. 21.5(1)(d),(f) if applicable)
VI. New Business ( Board may go into closed session pursuant to Iowa Code section 21.5(1)(a),(i) if applicable)
VII. Next meeting date is Monday, April 30, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. and will be held in the Jessie Parker Building, PERB Law Library, Des Moines, Iowa.
VIII. Adjourned at 10:57 a.m.
Jamie Van Fossen, Board Member